Project Fit is a partnership between Michigan State University, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Grand Rapids Public Schools, and local health systems, researchers, physicians, neighborhood associations and businesses, faith-based leaders, and community agencies/entities in Grand Rapids, Michigan to develop a multi-faceted approach to improve the nutritional status and increasing physical activity levels among Grand Rapids youth.
Four Grand Rapid Public School are participating in Project FIT:Buchanan Elementary School, Cesar Chavez Elementary School, Campus Elementary School, and Dickinson Elementary School.
The goals of Project FIT are:
- Increasing access to safe and affordable physical activity and nutrition education opportunities in the schools and the surrounding neighborhoods
- Improving the affordability and availability of nutritious food in the neighborhoods surrounding the schools
- Improving the knowledge, self-efficacy (confidence), attitudes and beliefs regarding nutrition, physical activity, and health among school staff, parents and youth
- Impacting the 'culture' of the schools and neighborhood to incorporate healthful values
- Encouraging dialogue among all community partners to leverage existing programs and introduce new ones
For more information contact:
15 Michigan Street, Suite 404
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Telephone (616) 234-2646
Fax (616) 458-4680